Family history researchers on Hawson family:
Eirene Hogan (website owner)
Pages on other sites with information on the Hawson family:
- Webpages by J Stiles via her site at Rootsweb.
Hawson Family of Devon, Newfoundland & Australia
Henry Cowell Hawson
- Abeona and the Hawson Family is a small book published in the 1990s by Mary D Carrick, which outlines some history of the Hawsons, going back to ancestry in England. It is very much a pre-desktop publishing book, typed up on a type writer and photo-copied.
It is available for viewing in: the State library of South Australia | National Library of Australia | University of SA | State Library of NSW
If anyone is interested in any information from the book you can contact me.
- Genealogy message boards on Hawson: Hawson, Eyre Peninsula, by Lynette Evans, at Gencircles
- Henry Hawson at SA Library
- Pastoral Pioneers of South Australia Vol II. [PDF]
Here is an interesting book dated from 1927, about the Pastoral Pioneers of SA. In it Henry Hawson is listed.
- There is, of course, a Volume I as well, that is here. It includes information of Charles Dutton, the first husband of Ellen White. She was widowed when Dutton disappeared in the bush, and later married Thomas Bond Hawson.
- Edward John Eyre talks of Frank Hawson’s death in his book Journals of Expeditions of Discovery into Central Australia, and Overland from Adelaide to King George’s Sound, in the years 1840-1.
Book available from the University of Adelaide ebooks, The ebook is downloadable and copyable.
In Chapter 9 he talks of a “Boy Speared by the Natives — Anomalous State of Our Relations with the Aborigines.”
- Brumbies keep heritage alive, Wild horses have been at Coffin Bay since being introduced by the Hawsons in 1839.